Monday, December 16, 2013

What's Up With You and Nail Art?

I did not start taking care of my nails until I was a senior in college.  Up until that point I was a nail biter and had been a nail biter for 20 years.  As I have been told, I started to bite my nails at a very young age because my neighbor friend bit her nails and I wanted to be like her.  

So, for 20 years my nails were a short, painful wreck. In high school I hopped on the Solar Nail express train but eventually that got to expensive to maintain and wrecked my nails.  Then my life changed when I was introduced to the magic of nail polish and nail art.  Doing my nails became a way for me to take my mind off the stresses of the day and the end result was always pretty.  

I don't know if you know this but on your hands there are ten tiny canvases. Those canvases are spaces for you to express yourself.  

You can go for a subtle nail ombre in pink. 

Or perhaps a little sparkle.

Happy Holidays!

What about your toes?


Maybe just sketch a little.


Pandas are always adorable. Especially on your nails. 

Don't forget to show off your fandom.  (Star Wars)

As you can see, nail art is a big part of my life.  I like to think that I have actually improved other peoples lives through nail art either by encouraging them to practice nail art or made them happy with my poorly drawn Storm Troopers.

My nail polish collection has grown quite a lot over the years and I have learned a lot about what makes a nail polish good quality. 
My Nail Polis Collection

Amateur tip: some inexpensive nail polish brands are actually good quality. Most of Sally Hansen's stuff is good.  If you are looking at higher end brands, OPI is one of my top favorites.  Color Club is a good brand if you are into bright colors.  

In addition to regular nail polish, I just started doing my own gel manicures using the Sally Hansen Gel Manicure Kit.

Gel manicures started in professional salons.  They can last for 2 weeks and involve the use of special nail polish and an LED lamp.  The startup cost can be a little more expensive, my kit cost me $50 at Bed Bath and Beyond; but the results are pretty awesome.  The polish is cured under the LED lamp and is dry to the touch after the final 30 second curing period.  

The best part about gel manicures is that I can paint whatever nail art I want to on my nails, cure it and then not have to worry about all my hard work chipping off 3 days later.  

Painting my nails has given me something that allows me to feel productive without feeling stressed. So whether you like it or think it is a waste of time, it is my waste of time. 

Any more questions?





No comments:

Post a Comment